Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Mighty Fall of Connor Xian

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again!


Last night, I put Connor to bed. As we are staying with friends who didn't have any kids gear, he was put to sleep on our bed and boxed in with protective pillows. Those pillows had always been effective at stopping him. But not last night.

Out in the hall, I heard him cry out. The cry was so unusual that I knew right away something was wrong. I jumped out of my seat and that was when I heard the most awful sound of my life. THUNK!

I'd never run that fast in my life. Usain Bolt would have been proud of me. I knew that Connor had fallen, I just knew it. And sure enough, he was on the floor on his back, stunned. I was just hysterical, "Oh my god, oh no, he fell off!"

I'd never been more frightened in my life. This was my baby and he was lying somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. I picked him up and right away, Connor let out the loudest wail I'd ever heard from him. He cried and cried as I held him close and kept telling him Mummy was here and it was going to be all right and how sorry I was. Mummy cried and cried too and in fact was still crying long after Connor had calmed down.

By then Dear Hubby had come in and thank god he'd kept his sanity because I'd lost mine. And thank goodness he knew what to do. He knew that we should check his pupils to see if they would focus. He knew that we should keep Connor awake for at least an hour because a warning sign is when your child becomes unusually sleepy or lethargic after a fall. He knew how to check Connor all over for any sign of bumps. He knew that we would have to wake Connor a few times during the night just to make sure he can wake up properly. He knew that one of the warning signs would be vomitting.

We took him for a check today and the doctor said he was okay. We don't know how he landed because there were absolutely no bumps on him and he didn't wince when we poked and prodded him all over to check.

Connor showed absolutely no sign of fear after his fall. He's still bouncing around happily and trying his best to reach everything that he shouldn't be touching. But Mummy is wondering if a bubble suit is on sale somewhere...

7 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm glad he's ok. To put your heart at rest - baby bro fell off the bed just as Connor did as a wee babe not much older than Connor is now. Have you seen the strapping lad lately?! :) He'll be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PB: I know... he's grown! Baby no more. Well, I'm glad to see his knock didn't affect him... hope the same goes for Connor. I was just hysterical after his fall. Not telling my parents about it. E-ver. Well until after Connor has graduated from Uni... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! have not read your blog... goodness.. i bet all that hair cushion his fall... heheh.. but glad he's alright. phew...

    kat mana sekarang? still in singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sheesh AiLeen!! Hope he's OK and still has his mother's whit's about him! NightHawke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    I am also an expat in Jakarta, from the UK, and have a 51/2 month old son. I've been enjoying your blog since I arrived in Jakarta last sept. I just wanted to let you know that I think the link for your "before and after" the baby post might be faulty as it has just taken me onto an "adult content" site twice!!

    I'm glad Connor is okay after his fall. We had something similar with our son just yesterday when I had him all propped up with cushions on the sofa where he has always been fine and somehow he got off and onto the floor. Ditto the heart stopping cry but he also seems fine thank goodness. No more sitting on the sofa for him!

    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roy: We said the same thing. "Phew.. good thing we never cut his hair!" LOL

    Jeffy: The little one bounced right back. But Mummy took a bit more time to get back to herself. LOL

    Anon: Hiya... maybe we'll bump into each other at a playgroup! Thanks for the info on the link, I'll have to check it out... an adult site??? YEEK.
    We've been really careful with Connor ever since. I know there's more bumps to come but I'm determined to minimise them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Aileen - Are you really the Aileen the I know?

    ReplyDelete